Millions of rats swarm the earth carrying disease, eating our food and damaging our homes, yet barbaric trapping methods have remained unchanged since Victorian times. Rats have no fear of humans and as urbanisation ensues, it allows that they are closer to us and in larger numbers than ever before. In urban and suburban areas of the U.S., there is roughly one rat for every human. They cause fires, pollute foodstuffs and carry diseases such as salmonellosis and leptospirosis. Full Link Here
In South-East Asia, 1/3 of the rice crop is damaged by field rice rats, yet a mere 10% increase in rice production would feed an additional 380 million people. Overall, it’s estimated that rodents are responsible for depleting one-fifth of the global food supply every year. Full Link Here
The British Pest Control Association (BPCA) says the spread of super rats has increased in recent years because most shop bought remedies are now ineffective. The rats are feeding on the supposedly toxic pellets, which has helped them grow bigger and stronger as well as build up their immunity. Now there are fears that the rat population, reckoned to be about 160 million, will soar. Full Link Here
A survey for the National Pest Technicians Association in the UK (BPCAUK) found that there were 378,000 local authority call-outs for rat problems in 2015. Richard Moseley, a technical manager with the BPCAUK, said: “Tons and tons of poison are being used to little effect. The more poisons we use, the more resistant rats will become to them. Wildlife think that it is safe to eat, and given the widespread indiscriminate use of poison there is a danger of these poisons leaking into our drinking water.” Full Link Here
And so, we ask, what worldwide is the annual cost to manufacture tons of toxic poisons? What is the manufacturing process and what happens to the waste from the manufacture? Thereafter the poison is distributed and eaten by rats and other animals. What happens to the residue of poison that isn’t eaten. Does it end in our food-chain? Does it end in the very water that we drink? What happens to the poison that is in the millions of rats that are killed after ingestion? Does it end in farmland? How many barn-owls and other wildlife die because of their ignorance to the poisons that they inadvertently consume? In all there are far too many questions that remain unanswered. The cost to our planet in all of this can only be to the detriment of the children and grandchildren who will follow on after us.
Surely it is time to stop?